Monday, January 3, 2011

Good, Better, Best

Elder Dallin Oaks' talk in the October, 2007 was also used in yesterday's RS lesson.  He said that there are good choices, better choices and the best choices in our lives.

This made me think about my current visiting teaching situation.  My partner, Cindy, used to be assigned by herself to Suzie and Jessie (not their real names).  It worked out very well for all concerned, because all were mothers with small children about the same age.  They are all very busy, and they would get together in play groups and talk. 

I was so stoked to be paired with Cindy and have the chance to visit Suzie and Jessie.  They are all amazing, wonderful and inspiring women.  We are already friends.  However, what with the holidays and people's schedules, it just hasn't worked to have the format be formal visits, a message, etc.  I don't think that's the way that it's going to come together. 

Regarding visiting teaching and home teaching, Elder Oaks states, "I suggest that it is good to visit our assigned families; it is better to have a brief visit in which we teach doctrine and principle; and it is best of all to make a difference in the lives of some of those we visit".  I don't know that it really matters with these two sisters that we have those formal visits, but I do want to participate in somehow making a difference in their lives when and where I can.

I think the key at this point is to talk with my companion often and find out what she is thinking about the sisters and visiting teaching.  Besides that, I need to make sure I also talk to the sisters when I see them and see what I can do.  One-minute "Hi!  How are you?" chats might be all we can do at church, but as I seek inspiration and listen to and follow the promptings of the Spirit, something will probably come together to help me.

I dunno, reading this (but I'm still going to post it), it points out how socially inept I can be.  But yeah, I am, and at my age I'm still trying to figure out how to do some fairly-simple social tasks.

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Want a quick tutotrial on how to sell clothes on eBay?

tenacious d said...

Yes, please!

Amberly said...

one of jaime's goals this year is to listen to the spirit's promptings each time they come. this method of visiting teaching allows just for that. following the whisperings regarding your sisters will make a difference for them- love this idea.

My Rad Life!