Thursday, January 13, 2011

98th Anniversary of My Grandmother's Birth

My grandma Dahlstrom would be 98 today.  She was definitely a different kind of lady, and a little hard to get close to, but I do have good memories about her. 

She was definitely a "neat freak", and her house was spotless. She tried and tried to get me to be neater, and I wish that I had inherited that trait from her, but I'm too cluttery.  Her house always smelled good, like good detergent in the laundry room and buttered toast or popcorn in the kitchen.  She smelled like Estee Lauder's Youth Dew.  I wouldn't wear it myself, but I love it when I smell it on other people. 

She loved crossword puzzles and got me hooked on them.  She was very intelligent, and told me that she wished that she could have gone to college.  She would have chosen to be an accountant, because she was very good with numbers.  She was the bookkeeper for her family business, the local Coca-Cola plant.  She was very proud of me and my sisters for going to college, and she would have loved, loved, loved it that I went to medical school. 

She played semi-pro basketball in the 30's.  Her favorite story about that was how she once made a half-court basket, but realized as she let go of the ball that it was headed towards the other team's basket.  As an adult, she was really into bowling and is in the Idaho Bowling Hall of Fame.  She was also good with her hands and made my older sister and I quilts and dustruffles for our beds when we were in grade school.  Gardening was another one of her hobbies, and her back yard had several rose bushes and lilac trees that she doted on.

One of my friends wrote me today and said, "My heart feels a little homesick for you today".  I thought that was such a sweet sentiment, and I feel a little homesick for my grandma today.

1 comment:

cindy said...

:)
Happy and lovely post.

My Rad Life!