Saturday, November 24, 2012

Interesting Things About My Ancestors

Well, interesting to me, anyway.

My great-grandpa, John Basil Dahlstrom, was an Idaho Fish and Game commissioner for a long, long time.  He helped my dad get a job as a surveyor the summer Dad was 18.  Dad and another person surveyed land up by Driggs, Idaho, when a dam was going to be built.  Dad says that Grandpa was really nice and really quiet, very laid-back.  He was well-liked.  I already knew that he had been the mayor of Alameda, Idaho, which is basically part of Pocatello.  Grandpa was a mechanic and had a shop that Dad says was "the filthiest place I've ever been in.  There was grease all over the tools....It was not tidy."

Here's a link to a little newspaper article about Grandpa Dahlstrom in the January 8, 1949, issue of the Spokane Daily Chronicle.  And here's another one.  Dad says that he used to go fish on the Fort Hall reservation, and there was good fishing there.

My dad did work a little at his family's Coca-Cola bottling plant, but he says he was kinda flaky, and his uncle George, who I think was the manager, didn't put up with that.  Here's also something interesting (maybe just to me and my sisters) about the Chaffee family and the Coke plant.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting! I didn't know most of that (except the Mayor thing).

My Rad Life!