Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Consumer Guilt

I'm going to buy a KitchenAid mixer tomorrow on my lunch hour. I have to admit that I feel somewhat guilty about making this purchase, though I have a 20% off coupon for Bed, Bath and Beyond, which will bring the price down to what Kohl's is offering as a sale price, and it's not like we will suffer financially because of it.

The thing is, I have a perfectly okay stand mixer. I say perfectly okay, because it runs, it has all of its parts, and it handles basic functions. But I've had it for probably 15 years already. It was a hand-me-down from my friend, AmyJo, who received it as a hand-me-down from her grandmother, who probably had the mixer for 10 years before AmyJo got it, and AmyJo probably had it for five years before she gave it to me. So the mixer is most likely 30 years old.

It doesn't have a dough hook, which is its only negative, really. Since I've been making bread more often, I think that it would be a handy thing to have. And you can get lots of fancy attachments, like juicers and ice cream makers, to stick on the KitchenAid.

I'm worried that I'll buy it and not use it enough to justify the purchase. I also feel wasteful, but I won't just throw the mixer away. I'll give it to the Salvation Army or something. And I guess that I'm being a good American and boosting the economy with my $230 purchase. And I think they're made in America. So, I shouldn't feel that guilty, right?

8 comments:

karen said...

As the once and future owner of a KitchenAid mixer, I can attest that it is a quality piece of equipment and you will use it more often than you think. For example, it makes the best (apart from Dad) mashed potatoes.

tenacious d said...

Thanks, Kiki!

Amberly said...

release the guilt! if it makes your baking endeavors more enjoyable, it will add to your home and the way you use your kitchen to bring your family together. are you going to get a fun color??

tenacious d said...

I bought the mixer on my lunch hour. KitchenAid is also providing a $30 rebate, so I got it for $200. Guilt officially released. It's the brushed chrome to match my fridge. I didn't want to chose a color that would look "soooo 2009" in a few years.

Unknown said...

How fun for you! I'm hoping to get a KitchenAid soon with the money Rick is getting for his bonus. I'm undecided about the color though - I really like the red.

The Silly Witch said...

Kitchen-Aid is what all the cool chefs have. I'm glad you've let go of the guilt and are truly ready to enjoy a luxurious cooking experience.

Amberly said...

brushed chrome is a great and classy choice. can't wait to hear about your adventures with your new mixer!

Heidi Reads... said...

No guilt! This sounds like a smart and well-thought out purchase. It's like turning in your clunker and getting a new car for your kitchen :) Have fun!

My Rad Life!