Monday, February 14, 2011

I Love My Grandma

My little grandma, Wilma Swainston Bright, passed away today.  She would have turned 100 in May.  She actually was quite active, living by herself until she was about 94 or so.  (I don't remember.  Time has really passed quickly the last few years.) 

Grandma was a worker--she taught school as a young woman, and when Grandpa passed away at the tender age of 48 and she was left with four of her five daughters still at home, she went to work at JC Penney.  She was an indefatigable temple worker.  She and her old-lady friends would drive up to the Idaho Falls Temple from Pocatello and do session after session.  She did that into her 80's, driving her own car.

I think that I got my independence, work ethic and love of temple service from her.  I did not get her talent for sewing, quilting, crocheting...basically any kind of needlework.  I might have gotten her talent for baking.  She made a mean mincemeat pie and sour cream chocolate cookies.

I am so happy to know that Grandma and Grandpa are together, after she was without him for so long.   He probably came for her, but right behind him most likely were her sisters, Laura and Harriet, who preceeded her in death, and her mom and dad.  It must have been a wonderful reunion!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Did you know she played basket ball for Utah state? and do you remember her dummy Sy that she used to take with her on road trips so people didn't think she was traveling alone?? I'm glad to know she is back with Grandpa and that that spunk she had lost over the last couple of years is back!

Dayna said...

I remember one Christmas she gave me a box of applesauce. Applesauce isn't something I eat often, but I appreciated her thought and effort. They sat in my pantry for quite a while. One day I was super hungry for something sweet, so I thought I'd give the applesauce a chance. It was the most delicious, decadent, crack-like applesauce I've ever had. I was sad that I hadn't tried it before, and ate all of the jars pretty quickly. I made sure to tell her how much I loved it! Oh, and those sour cream chocolate cookies were the best! One time she made them just for you, Diane, because you told her you liked them. I was so jealous - not sure if it was because Grandma did something especially for you, or because I loved those cookies just as much. I also remember that I had never had mince pie until I had it at her house, and I LOVED it. I've never had as good since.

Julie said...

Sweet, tender post. I've heard you talk about this grandma before. She seemed like a wonderful woman.

My Rad Life!