Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving--A Whirlwind

Rowdy and I drove from SD to St. George on Wednesday night.  This is usually a 6 or 7 hour drive, but it took us 9.5 hours.  What is so infuriating is that there are stretches on the 15 that where traffic is almost at a standstill, but there hasn't been an accident or bad weather or anything.  It's unfathomable.

But anyway, I was grateful that we were able to have a car trip together, for satellite radio and Audible, and our safe arrival.

As I have to work today, the plan was for Rowdy to drive me to Las Vegas on Thursday so I could fly home.  A plan for me to help out and work on Thursday night was hatched more than a month ago.  We didn't have Oliver then, so I thought that I might as well work, help a colleague and earn some extra money if I was going to be alone on Thursday night anyway.  Just staying home Wednesday and Thursday and flying to Las Vegas on Friday night was never an option.

I'm grateful that our trip back to Vegas was safe, that we had time to just shoot the breeze with Jamie, and that work went really smoothly and easily.  I'm grateful that Oliver tolerated being at home alone really well and was soooooo very happy to see me and loved up on me when I got home.

I am especially grateful for Lezlie, my MIL.  She pushed up the Thanksgiving dinner so that I could eat before we left for the airport.  Everything was delicious, but it was especially lovely to be able to spend that time with my in-laws.  I have always been blessed with terrific in-laws.

I'm grateful that my dad is still around to enjoy another Thanksgiving with us.  He has received so many blessings that made his whole bypass experience go wonderfully.  Maybe he doesn't realize that they were blessings, but I can totally see them.  I'm grateful that I could talk to my mom, dad and big sister yesterday.  I'm grateful for my little sister, though I didn't talk to her and couldn't be with her over the holiday.

Today, I'm grateful to be able to craft my workday such that I can get everything done and get out in time to catch my flight back to Vegas.  I'm grateful to know a friend who has a car service so I don't have to drive my car to the airport or bug other friends who are doing their day-to-day business or have family around to take me to the airport.

No comments:

My Rad Life!