Thursday, September 23, 2010

We Have a Target

The plan is for Rowdy to undergo the "reattachment" surgery in 12 weeks.  So, I will run the half-marathon on December 5th, and he will probably have surgery the following week. 

The surgeon talked to us today and was very positive about things getting put back together, and Rowdy getting back to his old self.  I told him that Rowdy was going to be a BJJ world champion, and even though SuperMario didn't act like he believed it, I do.

Next week will probably see Rowdy back at home, with home health visits every few days to change dressings and deliver IV fluids.  He has a vacuum device over the wound in the middle of his abdomen to promote healing.  That wound should be healed completely in 2-3 weeks.  The ostomy is going to be around for 12 weeks, and the TPN (or IV feeding) will go on every single night until the next surgery also.  He can take things by mouth, but he won't be able to absorb enough nutrition from that to stay healthy.  So, if he wants to eat pumpkin pie or Hot Tamales, he can.  They'll just zoom through his system to the bag.

Clothing is going to be a little problematic.  I keep joking that he will have to wear a muumuu everywhere.  The wound care nurse said, "You'll just have to wear big Hawaiian shirts".  I couldn't keep from laughing at the idea of Rowdy wearing a big Aloha shirt like some fat, old guy.  (No offense, fat old guys.)  It is just not going to happen.

5 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

Hmmmmm. You'll have to post pictures of your clothing solution!

Tory said...

What good news to hear that he can actually eat if he chooses. Yeah, so what is the plan for clothes?

Deenwie said...

Years ago I told a co-worker that I'd had my colon removed. I think he assumed that I had a bag, as he kept looking at my waist area like he was trying to figure out where I kept it! Sorry, Buddy, nothing to see here! I never mentioned it to him, but it made me laugh. Maybe I wouldn't have lauged, if I really had one, though. :-(

Julie said...

Best of luck to both of you! Thanks for the updates. You guys are fighters.

K said...

I am so sorry your hubby is going through this! It makes my surgery look like a cake walk! I pray that he will recover quickly and completely!

Best of luck to both of you over the next couple months!

BTW, his choices for clothes are awesome!

One more thing, thanks for all the comments. (o:

My Rad Life!