Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Orange Crush Fan Club

Today was a very good day as far as seeing real progress in Rowdy's demeanor as well as his physical condition.  He no longer has a fever or a rapid heart rate or a high white blood cell count.  They're letting him take sips of juice.  He was taking care of all of his ostomy stuff pretty well.

But the best thing was to have his smile and sense of humor totally back. He is back to being all of the nurses' favorite, because he jokes with them and lets them know that he's aware of how stressful their job can be and that he really appreciates them. His nurses have been pretty terrific on this floor.  We're going to have to do something for them to thank them.  He still has issues--who wouldn't--but he was apparently quite feisty with the social worker when she came by to tell him about ostomy support groups and ostomy clothing.  He is not going to put up with that crap for a minute.

He's had a few more visits from friends, and I think that really helps him out, too.  For the first year or so that we lived here, he lamented the lack of good friends and "couples" friends for us.  But now we've gotten a really good circle of wonderful people.  Crash Test Mommy even made him a personalized crossword puzzle and sent it to him in the hospital, with the return address:  Orange Crush Fan Club.  "Orange Crush" is the Brazilian jiujitsu nickname he's been trying to cultivate.  I like it.  I think I'm going to join the club.  You can, too.

Happy day in the park

4 comments:

cindy said...

Oh my! I finally got caught up on your blog today. I hadn't known about the second surgery. I LOVE, LOVE the scriptures you shared. I must reread them for awhile and share them with Mom. I pray for Rowdy and for you daily. I love this quote, "Gratitude on a daily basis means we express appreciation for what we have now without qualification for what we had in the past or desire in the future." -Robert D. Hales
Gratitude, and cheerfulness are keys. I'm not good at it every day, but I'll keep trying.
Please, continue to keep us posted.

tenacious d said...

I love that quote, Cindy!

kari s. said...

Yay! Glad to hear that things are looking up! Love the Orange Crush nickname. Brilliant. :)

Crash Test Mommy said...

As I understand it from Rowdy, you're the founder of the OCFC, Diane. When I heard about it, I nominated myself the social secretary.

My Rad Life!