Saturday, October 4, 2008

Saturday Happenings

I have been very busy on call this week, and today was no exception. I was at the hospital from 10 until 3. Granted, it's not the 12+ hours that I'd usually spend at work when I was on call as a fellow, but it's a busy day as an attending in what amounts to a community hospital. This is following an 11 hour day at work yesterday, being home for an hour and then having to go back for another case. A couple of hours of that 11 was spent doing a particularly tricky embolization with the help of my section chief. It turned out very well, and was part of the ongoing evidence that Heavenly Father loves His children and gives us guidance and direction when we ask for it.

Rowdy and I started the morning at the Ursula Rains 5K. Pictures courtesy of our buddy G-Ride to follow. I was well-back of the pack, finishing last in my age group by a wide margin. But, no big deal. It was still fun and a good beginning to my day.

I missed all of General Conference, but I was able to watch nearly all of the morning session online while Rowdy was at the Priesthood session. Having lived in Kansas City, I was excited to hear about the KC temple, but the thing that literally made me shout for joy and brought tears to my eyes was the announcement of the Rome, Italy temple. Rome in particular and Italy in general have a very special place in my heart. I'm sure that the Saints in Italy are just thrilled.

If I had to choose a favorite talk from the morning, it would be Elder Neil L. Andersen's. Two quotes that will stay with me: "You don't know everything, but you know enough" and "Faith is not only a feeling, it is a decision." We know enough to keep the commandments, and we move forward from there. We have to choose to act on our faith.

6 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

That post made me miss you. You are such a great example of faith.

Anonymous said...

I was way excited when the Rome temple site was announced too! Those were two quotes that stuck with me in that talk as well. It was such a good conference!

Steph said...

Amen! Could those have come at a better time or what!?! With all of this Prop 8 stuff ;)

Anonymous said...

That talk really struck me as well. And how wonderful to see more and more temples coming! I know my missionary companion, Maria Jose, will be thrilled to have a nearby temple in Cordoba!

Love you!

SD Fiddlers said...

Good job on the race, Diane! It feels good to accomplish something difficult you set out to do. We loved conference, too though the kiddos do make it more difficult to write down the amazing things said. I'm glad I can sit down and read it again next month!

nyclizzie said...

You should have seen my facebook postings go crazy with all of my italian friends when the temple was announced! They are all so elated. I think they thought it would never happen!

My Rad Life!