Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Biggest Small Town


While running at Mission Trails on Friday morning, we crossed paths with an older gentleman wearing a hat with the initials "MD" on it. I was wearing my med school t-shirt. We crossed the same man's path when we were done with our run. He came up to me and said, "Excuse me, but I couldn't help but notice your MUSC shirt. When did you graduate?" It turns out that he is a retired MD from Columbia, SC, who is also an alumnus of my med school. He is good friends with the surgeons I used to work with when I was a tech.

Tonight was our good friends' wedding. We looked across the aisle and saw another good friend's ex-girlfriend, with whom we have gone on several double dates. Her date was a guy that Rowdy occasionally works with who has come over and played on our climbing wall. He's a high school friend of the groom.

At dinner, we were seated next to a couple who are the parents of a friend of the groom. They were visiting from Florida. At some point in the conversation, the husband asked us what we did for a living. It turns out that he is a recently-retired Kaiser ER physician, who knows all of the "old-timers" in my department.

It just goes to show that, as our friend Marlo (the bride) says, "San Diego is just a big small town."

2 comments:

Steph said...

I love seeing people I know; it makes me feel like I'm an established member of my community. Now you can run for the school board or the community council!

Lezlie said...

Happy Birthday to you! love you, have a great b-day.

My Rad Life!