Thursday, September 11, 2008

88 Lines About 44 Years

1964 I was born a middle-class white child in a smallish Idaho city. Mom, Dad, Dayna and I live in a little house on Highland.
1965 My sister, Dayna, and I were totally spoiled by our parental grandparents. I think I got a new Barbie every week.
1966 I learn that bumblebees don't want to be petted. Did you know that?
1967 Daddy takes a teaching job in a small Oregon logging town. DeeDee and I dance in the Scandinavian Festival.
1968 My favorite books are A Little Old Man and Hop On Pop. I can still remember how it felt when the letters on the page suddenly had meaning.
1969 Mom takes me to kindergarten on the back of her bicycle. Our class went on a field trip to a dairy, where we had Oreos and chocolate milk--the only time I've ever liked chocolate milk.
1970 First grade lasts all of two weeks. I cried every day of second grade.
1971 Our family is complete with the arrival of Kiki. She is instantly the star of the family.
1972 Thanks, Olga Korbut, for getting me interested in gymnastics. I attend the Oregon Academy of Artistic Gymnastics. I am the 8-and under City Backstroke Champ.
1973 I am not very good at math.
1974 For some reason, I was very interested in the Patty Hearst saga, and pray for her every night. The Vietnam War was also the cause of much concern.
1975 Back to Idaho, and starting jr. high. If you want to know what I looked like, find a picture of Christian Soriano. Tragic.
1976 Bicentennial festivities.
1977 Cristy Greenwood is my next-door neighbor and best friend. Why do I always have to be Donny when we sing the farewell song from the Donny and Marie show as we get off the bus?
1978 I had a crush on Bart Naylor for the longest time, but he grew up to be fat and live in Boise. Let that be a lesson to young women everywhere.
1979 DeeDee graduated from high school. I discover punk music, and I like it.
1980 My first boyfriend was Randy Potter. He was a stud.
1981 High school graduation and leaving Boise for the bright lights of...Provo. "At least I'm out of Boise," is my motto.
1982 I am so lucky to have Cristy, Jenny, Stephanie, Linda and Carrie as roommates and truly BFF. They helped me become the woman I am today.
1983 My most unusual job--artists' model. I refused to do conventional things like food service.
1984 Cindy Kay and Sharon are added to my BFF list, and I meet my future ex-husband. What if that's the way he had been introduced to me?
1985 Would you believe I graduated with a degree in Physical Education? Pfft!!
1986 Grad school and BYU Theatre Ballet Corps de Ballet. I love dancing.
1987 Graduated with a Master's in Health Promotion, and get a job in...banking. It was an education, to be sure.
1988 My gallbladder and I part company acrimoniously. It gives me compassion for the people I later treat.
1989 It seemed like a good idea at the time. I did get some terrific in-laws out of it.
1990 Kansas City isn't such a bad place to live. And I made my first trip to Europe.
1991 Columbia, South Carolina is also nice. It is here that I learn to tap dance.
1992 Munich works its way into my heart. I performed in community theater and with the local ballet company.
1993 It occurs to me that I actually do have what it takes to go to medical school. Fortunately, I have a supportive husband.
1994 I'm on the President's Honor Roll at the University of South Carolina. The road to med school begins.
1995 I was so blessed to be able to go to med school. I honestly loved every day of it.
1996 I love anatomy, and was the lead TA for the PA/PT anatomy course. Actually, I had three jobs and went to school.
1997 Charleston is a beautiful city. The most beautiful smell is the tea olive plant; the worst is the horses.
1998 My first exposure to living in NYC. I flirt briefly with the idea of becoming an orthopedic surgeon.
1999 It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
2000 I never knew I could hurt so badly, but Heavenly Father blessed me to have a very strong support network.
2001 My testimony grows by leaps and bounds by service to others, really studying the scriptures, and knowing some exceptional people.
2002 Turns out that I really do like Interventional Radiology as much as I thought I would. Diane gets her groove back with the rainforest zip line tour guide.
2003 I probably dated more men this year than in six years of college, and I still find time to run a marathon.
2004 Finishing residency, passing the boards, and starting fellowship. The NYC Temple is dedicated, and I live right next door.
2005 Rowdy--what can I say My Love?? You were so worth the wait.
2006 More adventure, love and joy than I ever dreamed possible. I lucked out a second time with the in-laws. Also, would anyone have ever guessed that I'd be Primary President?
2007 J, K,and M learn that their mom and dad will always find each other. Gelato Two-a-Days are mandatory when travelling in Italy.
2008 I don't know how to express how much I love my sweet, strong, thoughtful and supportive husband. What does the future hold? Surely more adventures!

4 comments:

Rowdy said...

I learned easily more in those 88 lines about the 'real' Diane than I have in quite a while. Thanks for the awesome insight. Love you.

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!! Maybe I'll follow your example and do that just for me. I feel incredibly blessed to be among your BFF. Your heart is entwined in mine. Question...are you on facebook? XXXOOO Cindy

Lezlie said...

left message on wrong post! happy birthday to you. love you & have a great day!

nyclizzie said...

That was AWESOME! I love that you remember such details! I think I blocked out most of my life! haha

Thank you for sharing. It was fun to see where the progression of things as I knew them. Rock on, sister!

My Rad Life!