Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Smashy-smashy

The medical director of my hospital is really into breaking world records.  He seems to equate it with quality care--don't get me started.  But anyway, a few weeks ago, we were going to break the record for the most mammograms performed in a day.  The mammo techs recruited people from the department, and as I am in that kind of grey area as far as when it is appropriate to get a mam, I agreed to participate.

A week or so later, a colleague pulled me aside to tell me that he had compared my films to a prior examination from a couple of years ago and found several new calcifications in both breasts.  He thought they were probably benign, but recommended I get more views to confirm that thought.

So, today I had my diagnostic mammogram, which involved 10 different, magnified views of the left and four or six (I lost count) magnified views of the right breast.  It was quite uncomfortable, but I am grateful for the conscientiousness and perserverance of my colleagues, Emily and Marc, and our tech, Janet.  They were able to determine conclusively that everything is benign.  I am grateful to say that I do not have breast cancer, just a slightly-sore left boob.  I am also grateful that Rowdstar was working just up the street from the breast center and was able to entertain me as I waited for the verdict.

4 comments:

Amberly said...

good grief, that scared me for a quick minute. glad everything is ok. sorry for the smashing!

Deenwie said...

That's a pretty scary thing to go through, Nan. I'm thrilled that you are okay!

Julie said...

Glad to hear all is well. Best to confirm, regardless. I think it's about time for me to get a screening.

Unknown said...

Oh my. I stumbled upon your blog and just had to comment. Thank heavens your ok (minus the nice "scrunch") I really should go get checked...

xoxo
Aarean

colorissue.blogspot.com

p.s. come check out my great necklace giveaway!! I think you'll love it!

My Rad Life!