Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Car Quandary

K will be getting his driver's license on April 5th (not like we're counting the days or anything). He has expressed a distinct dislike for driving a manual transmission car. (Another topic entirely. People, men in particular, should have in their list of skills the ability to drive a stick. But, whatever.)

We have two vehicles, a Tacoma truck (auto) and an Acura RSX (manual). K has been driving the truck whenever we insist that he practices driving. He does just fine, very well in fact, but it is not going to be practical to have that be his main source of transportation when he can drive solo. We're going to get him a sturdy, used car, most likely a 4-door Honda or Toyota sedan.

So that has made me think about trading the Acura in sometime this spring for something fun for me to drive. I have narrowed the list down to three cars, as you may have noticed by my sidebar poll. The options are: Volvo C30, Lexus IS 250 and the Mini Cooper S. I did not include the Porsche Cayman or 911, because I'm just not at the point where I wouldn't feel guilty about spending that much for a car (even though the Cayman can be had used for about half the cost of a 911--it's still a lot of money, and I was always feeling guilty about the Lexus 400h).

Here are my thoughts so far:

Volvo C30


Twihards may recognize this as Edward's car in Twilight. Well, I saw it first, so there! It's fun to drive, cute, has good gas mileage, is relatively inexpensive, very safe (it's a Volvo, after all), and there aren't 50 of them in the MD parking lot already.

Mini Cooper S



Well, what can I say? The Mini is adorable, fun to drive, has great resale value, I could buy a used one in good condition if I wanted to, and J would be ecstatic (but she can't drive a stick, either!). However, they are ubiquitous, and that's the main thing that puts me off about them. If I did get one, I would pick the non-metallic blue.

Lexus IS 250



This is a perfectly attractive sedan, and I loved my other Lexus. It would have both heated and cooled seats, probably room for all 5 of us, if we ever needed to travel all together and didn't want to use the truck. It comes in dark blue, which I think is quite nice. I think it would be fun to drive. However, the thing I worry about is that it would be sort-of "Mumsy", you know--mature, stolid. If we get another 4-door sedan for K to drive, we could always take that if we needed a sedan. As much as I love the luxuries in the Lexus, I'm not completely sure that I need to spend the $10K more than the Mini or Volvo.

Rowdy says, "You owe it to yourself to at least look at the Subaru Impreza WRX". Hmmm...I think that it's more that he would like one. They're used as rally cars. They come in the four-door model, and I'm sure that they're snappy to drive. But I don't like the scoupe on the front or the spoiler on the back. I'll have to test-drive one just to see what they're like. You never know, I might like it.

10 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

All of those cars look really fun. But I agree with you. Everyone, especially guys should learn to drive a manual. I'm sure he doesn't like it because he's not good at it yet.

Amberly said...

I've always been a fan of the volvo wagon, so I'm leaning that way. The mini looks like a fun, zippy car, but for some reason I think of it as a teenage vehicle. don't know why. volvo says mature and classy while still maintaining the cool factor.

tenacious d said...

Amberly: that's what I've been thinking, too.

Deenwie said...

I think the Volvo looks slick to me. I like the safety factor too. I'm pretty sure they aren't like the one we had in Oregon!

Just to put in a plug - I looove my Scion, and they have some cuter options than they used to.

Even though I know how to drive stick, in stop-and-go traffic it is much better to have automatic.

tenacious d said...

I don't think Scions are comfortable at all. Not an option. But I'm glad that you like yours.

Rowdy said...

What do you want? What is important to you. From reading and listening it seems to be:
-sporty/peppy/quick
-attractive paint options
-unique or rare
-not staid, common, soccer mom-ish
-less than $40,000

I think you will have to focus on the actual car, and not your perceptions or hopes about it. Then you can pick what will really satisfy you.

Have fun!! VROOM VROOM VROOM

Rowdy said...

Or....

Mazda Miata. They are all hardtop convertibles now.

BMW Z4. Same thing, hardtop convertible.

Infiniti G37.

BMW 1 series.

And no guilt should be felt at all about buying a car. Ever. (or motorcycle)

Laurie said...

Boy that's tough! I like the Volvo but according to Jack, who was just talking to some buddies about cars the other day, the subaru is the car choice of lesbians. He works at Starbucks and the parking lot is full of them. No offense to lesbians but he seems to think it's like driving around with a rainbow sticker on your car... :) hmm. I'm with you on not wanting to have the car that everyone else drives. I have one of those and I hate that...

tenacious d said...

Hehhehhehheh! Laurie! That's hilarious. Actually, I do think of the Forrester as a car often purchased by the Rainbow crowd. The WRX makes me think of young Asian kids who like to street race, the "Ricers" or "Fast and Furious" types. Just like the Miata makes me think of the crazy, attempted-murderer/kidnapper, gay med school classmate of mine. He drove one, and there's no way that I can be convinced to buy one.

nyclizzie said...

We LOVE our Cooper. We have the regular Cooper and Evan uses it to commute to Jersey everyday and gets awesome gas mileage! (40+ and up to 53/gal) It's zippy and very roomy inside. We even took it on our road trip to Montreal last Fall and loved it! Good luck with whatever you get! I definitely don't recommend the Honda Odyssey...can't wait to trade it in in a few months!

My Rad Life!