Sunday, December 13, 2009

Heath Bars

...or, as I've been calling it, "Christmas Crack".

AmyJo Jacobson, my dancing pal from South Carolina, taught me this easy and delicious recipe for homemade Heath bars. Since I can't see a really reasonable way to mail all y'all some, I'll give you the recipe here, and you can make your own. Not as fun as getting a care package, but still...

Ingredients:

1 c. butter
1 c. light brown sugar
saltines
milk chocolate chips
nuts, such as sliced almonds, if desired

1) Preheat oven to 400F.
2) Line a jelly roll pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil, then line the pan with saltines. Set aside.
3) In a small saucepan, combine the butter and brown sugar. Heat to boiling, and let boil for four minutes, stirring constantly.

4) Pour the toffee mixture over the saltines, and bake at 400 degrees for five minutes.

5) Cover the toffee and crackers with milk chocolate. Let melt for two minutes. Spread the melted chocolate over the toffee.


6) If desired, sprinkle chopped nuts over the chocolate. Touch the nuts into the chocolate.


7) Let the candy sit until the pan is cool-enough to place in the freezer. Freeze until set.
8) Break the toffee into irregular pieces, like peanut brittle.

9) Enjoy!!!

4 comments:

Molly said...

Oh yummy! I must try....right now....:>

Amberly said...

I'm loving the pictures every step of the way! and it seems like an easy delish indulgence!!

Deenwie said...

Dad told me that Mom is making the Christmas Crack!!!

tenacious d said...

You will love it! It's delicious.

My Rad Life!