Thursday, August 20, 2009

Light Reading

Reading the New York Times is a habit that I have gotten out of somewhat since I have left the Big Apple. Since I can't do without at least the Saturday and Sunday crossword puzzles and the Sunday Styles section, I have continued with a weekend subscription.

My weekday reading is sporadic and via www.nytimes.com. There's always something to glean from the pages of the Times, whether those pages be virtual or tangible.

Yesterday, I read an article about parents who fret and fume about their local ice cream vendor. More people should be like the SWELL gang, who know their ice cream man by name and spend relaxing summer and early fall afternoons eating cones on their front step. The article made me miss Mr. Softee. I'll have to go to Foster Freeze and get a chocolate-dipped cone.

There was an piece today about Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love. She kind of bugs me, but we're discussing the book at book club next week, so now I have some extra information to share.

And finally, Trinny and Susannah from the British version of What Not To Wear have a new show on TLC, premiering tomorrow. But I will be missing it, since our ridiculously-expensive Samsung flat-panel TV has been broken for a month now and will probably remain in that state for two more weeks.

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Oh oh oh me to me to. We used to get the NYTimes 7 days a week (too much paper and expense) and now we just get giddy every Sat and Sun to ready the Real Estate and Style Section. I seem to find something or two each weekend that causes pause, anger and delight. It really does feel indulgent reading the paper.

u know who said...

i wish we didnt get a physical paper. it seems like most of what we recycle are the papers we get delivered.... and isnt all of the content online???

just print the crossword...

hahaha, but i understand having a ritual (that will soon be archaic)

Anonymous said...

I watched Trinni and Susannah. They were very toned down from their usual British selves. No ripping of jeans off of people in the mall, no brutal insults -- although there was some crying, and at one point everybody ended up sitting on the floor of the changing room having a group hug.

Not sure I like the kinder and gentler duo.

My Rad Life!