Thursday, August 13, 2009

Lest You Think It's All Fun and Games At Our House

We've had some drama around here lately, the kind that comes with dealing with the aftermath of divorce, coupled with the volatility of the teen years, the pain that mothers experience when their kids start leaving the nest, poor communications skills and just the vicissitudes of life.

I am trying so hard to be understanding of the people that are hurting inside and hurting others by lashing out. I feel sad for them, sad for the people that are just trying to do their best and find their way in the world, and sad for the messenger who has been taking the heat for the message.

I'm proud of the one who can put aside her own hurt and loss and be understanding, caring and supportive. I'm proud of the one who is making a difficult transition in the hopes of being more than he was and more the person he can be. I'm proud of the one who has done everything he can to be mature, kind, firm and reasonable.

I'm grateful for my parents' and my in-laws' ability to get through their children's teen years without killing us. I definitely can see what a monumental task that was.

Someday, this will be ten years ago. My guess is that things will work out eventually. I know that with love, patience, compassion and understanding, we'll all grow in a positive way from this.

Just...breathe.

1 comment:

The Silly Witch said...

Hang in there D.

I'm so proud of you for being firm, reasonable and for trying to have an eternal perspective. May you be blessed as you work through your family matters. May we all!

My Rad Life!