Monday, January 28, 2008

Thank You, President Hinckley!

I wasn't going to post on President Hinckley's passing until I read posts by several of my friends that brought back such sweet memories.

President Gordon B. Hinckley was an example to me of courteousness, faith, and strength. I have never met him, but was priviledged to live in NYC during the time the temple was built in Manhattan. As my friend, Lizzie, noted, Pres. Hinckley didn't really like NYC as a place. However, he was our greatest friend in getting a temple built right in Manhattan, when we thought we would have to continue waiting for the legal battles surrounding the Harrison site to be resolved.

Just three Sundays ago, Pres. Hinckley spoke to the Southern California area via satellite broadcast. He seemed a little bit run-down, but still much younger than his 97 years. His message was about families, particularly married couples, and how we should treat each other. When I was single, I looked for a man that would treat me the way that he treated and spoke of his wife, Marjorie. (And I found him!) I know that he's so happy to be with her again.

Last Sunday, Pres. Monson spoke at a devotional for San Diego Temple workers. He looked tired. He must have known that his time to take on the mantle of prophet was very near at hand. I am really excited to see how he goes forward. Each prophet seems to have a theme to their tenure. He's always spoken of service to others, so perhaps that will be an emphasis.

4 comments:

nyclizzie said...

I'm excited about Monson too. The Mormon population will be well versed in poetry for sure! He always interjects darling poems from his childhood. Carry on, Elder Monson!

Janette Rallison said...

I will miss President Hinckley's sense of humor. He was one of my favorites, but I'm sure President Monson will be wonderful too!

tenacious d said...

I remember thinking that Pres. Hinckley would be a stern prophet, since he came across that way to me when he was in the First Presidency. But then he was so warm and human. I think that any personality issues I have with Pres. Monson will go away once he becomes prophet. He'll still recite poetry, but I'll not be annoyed by it.

The Silly Witch said...

I used to be annoyed by Pres. Monson's incessant use of the past tense. This conference I finally realized that was just his way of turning the focus away from himself and toward the Lord and his power.

As a youth, President Monson's talks were my favorite. His manner of speaking caught my attention, and I loved his poems.

My Rad Life!