Thursday, January 10, 2008

Advantage: Curse

WARNING: This post contains mildly graphic depictions of road on girl violence.

I like to mountain bike. It's fun to see how my skills have improved over the last couple of years. I'm much braver on downhills and much more skilled in technical areas. I would still consider myself a beginner, but not a newbie.

So, how is it that I crashed on my bike on a perfecly flat section of Jeep trail, just after an uphill, not a downhill??? Gotta be the curse. That and maybe my equilibrium is not so great with the scopolamine patch.

The patch has been great in many ways. I've not had motion sickness at all on this trip. There was no way I would've gotten through our shark adventure without puking if I hadn't been wearing the patch. But I guess that when the warning label says, "Do not operate heavy machinery" they also mean a 28-lb mountain bike.

One of our guides says that he'll try to take us on another ride before we leave, since our ride ended after about 1.7 miles. [Rowdy, being the good husband that he is, aborted his ride and stayed with me until the rest of the group was done (about two hours later).] I am definitely going patch-less on that one.


My helmet was cracked. This is the first time I've ever hit my head on a ride. I haven't had a headache, nausea or change in mental status, so it's all good.



I also have a 7 cm x 6.5 cm hematoma on my left hip, but I'll spare your eyes.

5 comments:

nyclizzie said...

Ouch!!! That isn't supposed to happen! It must be Hawaii. When we were there on our honeymoon, we did the "bike down the volcano" excursion. Since we left at 2 am to get there at dawn, I actually fell asleep while riding my bike down the hill. I didn't know that could happen. Thank heavens I didn't crash. Are you feeling ok? Or are you sore? Thinking of you...

Janette Rallison said...

Ouch! OUCH!! OOOOUUUUCCCCHHHH!

I'm glad you're okay but that looks so dang painful! (This is why I just stick with walking.)

Amberly said...

holy cow!! that was a doozie!! you're going to have some sweet battle scars from that one, nice work!

Rowdy said...

I am starting to think it is not me that is cursed, but everyone else around me who has something to do with Hawaii. So I am free!! AH HA!!!! Take that!!

The Silly Witch said...

Wow those are painful looking abrasions and hematomas. I hope they heal quickly and that salt water doesn't sting them too much so you can enjoy the rest of your stay.

My Rad Life!