Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Doing Things Differently

Last night, I came home from a planning meeting, and I just wanted to vent.  My husband, however, shut that down immediately (how annoying is that?).  Then he went away for a bit, leaving me to be tearful and even more irritated.  When he returned, we had a calm conversation.

He said that he has observed over the past six years that I try to solve problems by "doing more", but that usually leads to more frustration because I'm just butting my head against the wall.  Maybe I should try doing things differently, not more intensely. 

Of course, he's right.  As annoying as it is not to be able to just vent, it really is better to do something constructive that isn't going to make me feel even more upset and won't solve the underlying problem.

In my considering what I'm going to do differently,one thing I have decided is that I can put a little bit of time in and get ahead of the curve with my particular duties.  I've spent the last six months letting myself feel overwhelmed by what seems to be the enormity of this particular job on top of my day job and everything else that I want or need to do.  I'm good at being completely inert or using lots of non-essential busywork disguised as planning to put off directly confronting a task. 

There are more things that I can and will do differently.  If it is appropriate, I will share any successes I have in the future.

2 comments:

SD Fiddlers said...

Thanks for the post. I just had a similar experience with Randall and my church calling. I'm learning to just let go and think about things differently. Sounds like you have the start of a great plan!

Amberlin Gefrom said...

Love the attitude and goals..but just in case if you still ever just to need to really vent. Know that I am always here. :-) Heaven knows I have vented to you plenty! :-D

My Rad Life!