Thursday, August 11, 2011

Drinking the Sherbet and Ginger Ale Punch

Today, I finally started to feel excited about my calling.  What was holding me back was knowing that most of my responsibility as a member of the YW presidency was going to be planning and carrying out activities.  Anyone who has worked with me in Primary can vouch for the fact that activities are not my strong suit.  I'm a teacher.  That's my thing and I can make that happen.

Fortunately, the Mia Maid adviser needed a sub for Sunday, and I eagerly accepted the responsibility.  I know, I know...teaching a group of 14- and 15-year-old girls is sometimes like teaching a group of statues.  Teaching Sunbeams is a lot easier.  But I love my girls and I love the subject of the lesson:  A Change of Heart.  The more I study it and the more I thought about how I wanted to present the information, the happier I became.

One of the best quotes comes from President Monson:

"Be the one to make a stand for right, even if you stand alone.  Have the moral courage to be a light for others to follow.  There is no friendship more valuable than your own clear conscience."

Hopefully, the messages of the lesson will reach at least one girl.  They have already reached me, so that's good.

My friend, Penny, sent me an invitation to check out Pinterest.  At first, I was a little confused about the concept.  Once I spent some time in it, I started to get hooked.  Best of all were the little DIY projects that I found.  Hey, we could do those at Mutual!  Maybe I can contribute something to the activity part of the calling after all.

So yes, I have finally drunk the YW kool-aid, or more appropriately the sherbet and ginger ale punch.  (Remember that from LDS wedding receptions of the 70's and 80's?  So gross.)

2 comments:

Penny and Aaron Owens said...

I love this post! The punch is easy to hooked on, and you will love it;) One of the busiest, hardest and BEST callings I've had. You will do SO great:) And you will have so many great ideas for activities because you've experienced so many things (and places) so just incorporate your experiences and the girls will love it because it will probably be new to them. I'm so excited for you!

Amberlin Gefrom said...

You are going to be a most excellent leader in the presidency! I am very excited for you!

My Rad Life!