Thursday, June 17, 2010

My Freaky Talent

I have a talent for summoning people, random people, just by thinking of them. Of course, this should be read with tongue firmly in cheek, but there is an element of truth to it.

For instance, there was a guy who worked in IT at my workplace who got me up to speed on different dictation equipment when I was a new hire. Six or nine months later, maybe a year, he quit to go back to school. But he was a helpful and nice guy, so one day three years later when I looked at the IR dictaphone, I thought, "Gee, I wonder whatever happened to ______. He was such a pleasant fellow." (I actually do think things like that.)

Within a week, he showed up in the department to invite everyone to his graduation party. He hadn't visited since he quit, three years before. When I told him I had been wondering what happened to him, he said, "Well, I guess that makes sense. Aren't we all somehow connected by the same energy?" (I can see Amberly nodding her head in agreement.)

Example #2--earlier this week, I happened to think about one of our "frequent flyers", an unfortunate young woman with a disabling chronic illness. It occurred to me that we hadn't seen her in awhile, and I hoped that it was because she was doing well. Did it surprise me, then, when I got a call this afternoon from one of her doctors asking if I could do a procedure on her? Not much. When I went into the room to talk to her, I told her how I'd been wondering about her. I said, "______, you know, you could've just called me to tell me how you're doing. You didn't have to get sick to come and see me." She chuckled, and I hope that it made her feel good that her doctors do think of her and hope that she is doing well.

Unfortunately, this only seems to work with random people. I can't think, "Gee, it's been awhile since I've seen Jordan," and have her magically appear. That would be totally awesome.

So, friends and family, know that I am thinking of you often and wish that I could summon you. If you feel an uncontrollable urge to come to San Diego, it's because you are in my thoughts. xoxo

4 comments:

gordtron said...

That is awesome! I wish it worked on not random people, because San Diego is looking very inviting to me :)

cindy said...

Diane....Your words totally made sense. Just TODAY I was thinking how long it had been since James and I had been away together. I thought, "Maybe we could go to San Diego and stay with Diane and Rowdy for vaca. That'd be soo nice." And then you wrote that!! (Not that we can get away..so don't worry.) BUT, it amazing how often those things happen!

tenacious d said...

Cindy, we are actually going to be in Salt Lake for the 4th. We're going to the Bees game. We're coming into town on the 3rd, leaving for Europeland on the 5th, coming back on the 16th and leaving on the 17th. It would be fun to get together and at least do lunch.

Jordo, theoretically, you could come any time. Just jump in your little car and drive. But then there's your work schedule to contend with.

gordtron said...

Psh, who cares about work?
And I have a couple of friends who are dying to see San Diego, so who knows, you might get a visit from me like that sometime :)

My Rad Life!