Sunday, September 13, 2009

When Irish/English/Swedish/Danish/German/French Eyes are Swelling

Ugh! For about a month now, I have had periorbital swelling, or swollen, itchy, red and UGLY eyelids. It is usually worst in the morning, just after I awaken, so I assumed that I was allergic to something on my pillow.

At first, I thought it was the Moroccan Oil that I was using. I reasoned that it would rub on my pillowcase at night, and I'd rub my face into it while I slept. So I stopped using the oil, washed my pillowcase and pillow cover well, used Preparation H to diminish the swelling, and basically just dealt with the annoyance.

That seemed to work initially, but the swelling would inevitably return. My allergist suggested Claritin in the morning, eyedrops twice a day, Cortisone ointment on my lids and Zyrtec at night. Again, it seemed to work at first, but then I'd wake up one morning and look like I'd bawled all night. I certainly felt like crying, because I looked so horrible.

Finally, on Friday, I had had enough. I went to the Urgent Care Clinic to actually see a doctor who was not me (for the physician who treats herself has a fool for a patient). This MD recommended that I also take Flonase, oral steroids, get a new pillow and get anti-dust-mite pillow and mattress covers.

They say that everyone takes Prednisone at least once in their life, and I was able to go almost 45 years before I did. But, so far, things are working. It will be a couple of weeks at least before I look normal again, but at least the itching isn't as bad, and my eyes are now just wrinkly (grrrr!!!) and slightly red, instead of puffy, wrinkly and very red.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Sounds miserable! Are they getting better??? Cindy

My Rad Life!