Saturday, September 5, 2009

Thinking On Two Wheels

I've noticed, as I read other blogs, that people name their bikes. My bike's name, if it has one at all, is The Pink Bicycle of Death.

R has been working as a bike mechanic at a Trek store. The employees had a big demo day on Thursday where they were able to see the 2010 models and get some technical training. As we were talking about the day, he said that they had a presentation by a female about how to sell bikes to women. R said, "It made me think that maybe I'm not being very nice to you when it comes to riding."

Today was a demo day for the public out at Mission Trails. I took a rode bike out for a little spin. It was actually my first time out on a rode bike, so it felt a little weird at first. But it was fun. Then I took a high-end mountain bike out on the trails. That was actually a lot of fun. I just went out by myself, on fire roads, so nothing technical. It was black and pink, just like my Pink Bicycle of Death.

I had the chance to talk to the girl who gave the "female specific" presentation. She said that what she tells people is that they need to be sensitive to the fact that some women are getting a bike because their husband or their boyfriend want them to ride. The woman may not really be into it, or may have some serious reservations about it. She may have had an experience before where said husband or boyfriend or and ex- variety has pushed them to ride somewhere beyond her capacity, ending up in scrapes, bruises or worse.

That led to R and I giving her an example of how R will tell me that a ride "isn't too technical" and I'll be fine, but it ends up (for whatever reason) that I think that a part the ride is beyond my capacity and walk it. R said, "And then I just get pissed at her". Trek Girl will forever be in my hall of fame, because she said, "Well, what needs to happen is that you need to stop being pissed at her." And then to me, she said,"I'm sure that you have a lot going on in your life, and it doesn't make a difference if you're an awesome mountain bike rider or not. So just walk things that you don't want to do and don't worry about it."

R is mad really because he feels like I'm shortchanging myself. I'm mad at myself because I want to be braver or more capable, but sometimes I'm just nervous about things. TG's suggestion is that I go ride by myself or in a group without R more often for practice. I need to figure out a way to do that.

3 comments:

Amberlin Gefrom said...

hahaha thats awesome

Molly said...

good for you Diane! I would love to go bike riding with you! How about tomorrow!:> Do I have to have a bike?

SD Fiddlers said...

Great post! I dated an avid mountain biker (who now is a good friend and makes custom MB's for a hobby) and felt pressured to do more than I felt ready for on the trails. But, I did learn so much. I loved the "female specific" presentation.

My Rad Life!