Thursday, September 24, 2009

Parenting

This parenting thing, it's tiring. Tonight was the Open House at K's school. This is probably pretty standard for most schools, so just skip over this if you've been through it 100 times already, but we basically went through our kids' whole school day in 2 hours.

K is an intelligent kid, but the thing that has kept him from doing as well as he could have since junior high is his not being willing to just do the assignments and rack up the points if he's not interested in the subject matter. Well...tough noogies. That's the way to get through to the next level. If you can't do that or aren't willing to do that, you're really no better than the kid who doesn't have the intellectual ability to do the work.

Anyway...I think he's annoyed with us that we sat him down after I got home and asked him about different homework assignments, extra credit projects and the exam he has tomorrow that he neglected to tell us about. But you know what? I don't care. It's my job to make sure he does his best. It's my job to teach him how to be the person he was sent to earth to be.

2 comments:

Dayna said...

You and I would never have dared to not do an assignment or turn it in late, or anything like that! It's hard to relate to people who are okay with that, but it carries over into adult life as well, so K needs to learn now that it isn't acceptable.

I have had employees who felt that it wasn't important to do something that I asked them to do, or they felt it wasn't interesting, so they didn't do it. Or they didn't think that deadlines applied to them. That's not the way to remain employed.

I'm pretty sure this is true for the engineering world too.

Anyway, I don't know why I'm ranting - preaching to the choir.

I'm sure our parents had other things that they tried to knock into our hard heads. :-)

Steph said...

Good for you, Di! It's easy to let yourself get tired and even contemplate taking the easy route :) You GO GIRL!

My Rad Life!