Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cheesemaking 101

I finally got around to trying my mozzarella cheesemaking kit. Go to www.cheesemaking.com to order your own, also to view a video of a pro making mozzarrella.

Here's my first attempt:

The kit



The contents

Starting out

One gallon of whole milk, some citric acid and water

After the rennet solution has been added and the mixture has been allowed to sit

Curds and whey



Microwave for a minute, then pour off whey, microwave for 30 seconds
Stretching it


Chill it


We're waiting for the french bread to be done to eat it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

CUTE apron! And that's a crazy-awesome kit. It looks like you're pulling taffy!

tenacious d said...

Thanks! I got the apron for Christmas from my sister-in-law.

It was like a taffy pull. I was amazed at how it actually turned out well. Next time, though, I'll put a little more salt in it.

Julie said...

How did it taste? How did the idea come to make your own cheese? Cool

Rowdy said...

homedade cheese and homemade french bread are delicious!! mmmmm, yummy.

i dont think it needs more salt, but hey, im not the one making it so do whatever you wish.

again, soooo yummy. (hungry yet?)

yummy


delicious

Lezlie said...

Looks like crazy fun and sweet delicousness!

SD Fiddlers said...

Mmmm... Looks like a lot of work, but worth it!

Anonymous said...

Sooo cool!!! That's not domestic...that's more like being a chef!

nyclizzie said...

That looks so chic. I want you to bring me the kit and we'll make it together in my kitchen! How's that?! xoxo

My Rad Life!