Monday, February 25, 2008

The light at the end of the tunnel is probably not a train

Rowdy had a small bowel follow through today. If you've never had one, you drink a delicious fluid that shows up under x-ray, and pictures are taken of your small intestine as the fluid goes through it.

There was actually good news--Rowdy's not obstructed anymore and just has a short area of narrowing where we saw the obstruction 12 days ago. We talked with the surgeon and the gastroenterologist, and they looked at the films. Right now, surgery is still not a good option. His bowel isn't obstructed anymore, things are passing through it, and he only has 20 cm of small bowel to spare before he's really in trouble.

So what that means now is that Rowdy has to keep advancing his diet while the TPN is being weaned away. The steroids will be given orally starting tomorrow. We're looking at a possible discharge of around Thursday or Friday or Saturday, depending on how things go.

I have not completely processed all of the things that I've learned during the last two weeks. My testimony of how Heavenly Father loves all of His children and is concerned about each one of them has been strengthened. I also know that there is a plan for each one of us, and whatever our circumstances are, we can be happy. I have a small increase in understanding of and a greater increase in appreciation for the Atonement and the resurrection of our Savior. Whatever happens in the future, I know that Rowdy and I will get through it together and be stronger for it.

1 comment:

Amberly said...

good grief! this has been quite a ride for both of you. I'm glad you're recording the progress. It sounds like good news that there is no pending surgery and discharge may happen this week.. we'll keep sending good vibes your way! I'm glad you mentioned the way your testimony has been strengthened through this- it probably takes a little effort to see the positive, but I get the impression rowdy doesn't let you stay down too long!

My Rad Life!