Friday, February 22, 2008

Do Me a Solid


Rowdy has progressed to a low-residue diet. With each meal, he is able to eat faster and get more in. Last night, he ate all of his hamburger, couscous and the chicken noodle soup. No one in their right mind would eat those carrots! He hasn't had any abdominal pain or nausea with it. Unfortunately, we're still waiting for everything to get to the end of his digestive tract. If he can't get real food to go all the way through, then he can't keep eating real food.

If you're wondering what a "low-residue diet" is, it's basically anything without much fiber. Our kids pretty much just eat a low-residue diet. (Which drives me bananas, but that's another subject entirely.) Some vegetables are allowed (including lettuce--go figure), some fruits. He had bacon and sausage and a bagel for breakfast yesterday.



Rowdy has a reputation around 2 North for being that guy who walks the halls alot. One woman called out from her room, "You're my inspiration!" I brought him a five-pound weight, and he'll go on his morning walks with the weight in hand, doing upper body exercises. As you can see from the pictures, he still has his cheerful smile. He is getting to the end of his rope as far as being stuck inside, though. I'm really impressed with how much patience he is demonstrating for this drawn-out process.

2 comments:

Amberly said...

Maybe I haven't kept up very well, but I feel lost as to what really is wrong with the poor guy... it seems like he's been shut up for an awfully long time, especially for someone who is such an adventure seeker! Hopefully eating real food is enough adventure for now... good luck getting it to go all the way through!!

Rowdy said...

I have Crohn's disease. Right now I have a small bowel obstruction. If surgery is required it would be #5 for me. Not good.

Basically my small bowel does not work. So, pick any organ in your body and say, have it stop working totally and see how that affects & effects you. That should explain the gravity and duration of my stay here in the hospital.

Thank you for the prayers and support from those who do!!

My Rad Life!