Sunday, October 23, 2011

Too Soon, Captain Caveman. Too Soon.

Tragedy struck MotoGP at Sepang today, as Marco Simoncelli sustained fatal injuries in a lap 2 crash.  The YouTube images are horrific, and I will not include them.  Only one of my blog readers is a GP fan, and he and I have already spent the morning reviewing all of the coverage.  But, the gist is that Simoncelli lost control on the outside of turn 11, and as he slid across the track, his helmet came off.  Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi, traveling behind, could not possibly have avoided making contact.  Edwards appears to have gone over Marco's torso; Vale, his head.

Edwards was thrown off of his bike, and tumbled several times into the grass.  Rossi rode off track, but stayed upright.  Images of the aftermath showed Colin on the infield, obviously in pain, holding his dislocated shoulder.  Marco is lying prone on the track, inert, one arm extended.  He died of massive head, neck and chest injuries.

Simoncelli wasn't one of my favorite riders, but I am heartsick for his family and friends.  Edwards and Rossi both must be devastated, particularly Rossi, who was one of Simoncelli's best friends.

1 comment:

Rowdy said...

reading this again chokes me up....

My Rad Life!