Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Never Gonna Be an Elite Athlete



In addition to an oil painting of me and my sweetie, Rowdy gave me an appointment with an exercise physiologist for a fitness assessment.  (And some awesome boots and a bike carrier for my car.)

My first visit with Ken of FitStop was yesterday.  He measured my percent body fat using the good old skin fold method, then tested my VO2 max.  That is basically a measure of my body's ability to transport and use oxygen, and is a good estimate of physical fitness. 

Basically, I have average physical fitness for a woman my age.  But the thing is, based on the information obtained, it's not like I have a world-class athlete inside me that I've been to lazy to bring out.  I really have a very average "engine", as it were.  I can be better than I am, but the frustration that I feel and the self-recrimination that I heap on myself for not being as good at running as, well, pretty much everyone I know, is useless. 

My goals are to get faster, lose weight and be fitter overall.  Ken is going to make a training plan that will help me get there, better I think, than the push-push-push, get frustrated and fatigued that I have been doing to myself. 

Ken suggested I pick a race five or six months down the road to start training for.  I'm not sure if I'll choose a tri only or do a tri and also do a half-marathon, like maybe the Salt Lake half marathon in April.  My shorter-term goal is to have this dress fit better.  It came today, and it is slightly snug.  It would be a shame to let a dress this lovely go to waste!

From us.asos.com.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Fitness is always a great goal, but how is it possible that you have any weight to lose? You already work out regularly and look fantastic! The goals sound great, though. Maybe I will also pick an event to train for. Need a running partner for the half?

Amberly said...

I have been in the same boat and contemplated getting a trainer to give me a little guidance as to what my next steps should be. While you sound a bit discouraged about the lack of super athlete in your genes, I think your dedication and persistence will give you what you're looking for. You are motivating to me, thanks for posting about your journey.

tenacious d said...

Julie--It's there, believe me. I will totally run with you if you want to do the SL 1/2. It's in...April, I think.

Amberly--This morning, I did a 5 miler just going by my heart rate. I walked some, ran some, tended to run more the last 2.5 miles, since it's downhill. I ended up averaging almost exactly what was predicted by my VO2max study. It was kind of liberating, definitely enjoyable.

Molly said...

Hey, I am doing the half again this year at Salt Lake and would love to get dad to run it again to and we can make it a family thing!This will be my third year in a row. I love it!

My Rad Life!