Sunday, April 11, 2010

And Boy, Are My Arms Tired!

The other week, I was talking with Angela who works at my local women-only gym (not Curves). We both decided that we needed some kind of kick in the rear to get our workouts going.

Well, never underestimate Angela, because one week later I got a call from one of the boot camp instructors, telling me that the gym was going to offer a four-week Boot Camp Challenge. It was going to be a structured program with contracts and weigh-ins and measurements. Since I had asked for it, really, I went ahead and joined the group. The plan is: four days of boot camp a week and at least 40 minutes of cardio, six days a week.

About 20 women showed up at 6 am last Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday for an hour of...fun. Well, you know, it really is fun, even when it's kicking your trash all over the place.

My cardio started out with walking to-and-from the gym and to-and-from work (1 mile each way), but I actually ran on Friday for the first time in months. So that's good.

Instead of Boot Camp on Saturday, I went to a three-hour Krav Maga Self-Defense seminar that my hairdresser recommended. Krav Maga (in case you were wondering) is a combat system developed in Israel. The purpose of the seminar was to empower people (mainly women) to be able to defend themselves if attacked. We learned different moves (punching, striking, kicking) and got to practice them in a mock attack situation. It was really eye-opening. Definitely, if you are ever attacked, scream, yell and fight like crazy.

No comments:

My Rad Life!