Saturday, February 27, 2010

My Possessions Are Causing Me Suspicion But There's No Proof

I've had several objects in my life "go south"lately.

First, it was my laptop's video card, necessitating purchase of a brand-new laptop that will hopefully be able to access my work's intranet when my co-worker checks it out on Tuesday.

Then my beloved Danskos, my most favorite work clogs ever, finally gave up the ghost after 8 years of loyal service. The sole was coming off the right shoe, the left was losing parts, and they were generally beaten up. After years of having blood, contrast, urine, bile and pus dripped on them, I wouldn't even wear them home. My cost/use ratio on those babies was $0.0052/wear, so it was definitely time for them to be retired.

My cellphone was next. I'm not really a person who is all into the latest electronics, but I decided to go ahead and get an iPhone. There is so much I need to learn about that thing to really make it more than just a phone that sits in my purse, ignored 90% of the time.

And then the blowdryer I bought just four months ago caught on fire yesterday morning. It wasn't spewing flames like a blowtorch or anything, it just had a little sparks/flame action inside it.

Rowdy reminded me that our camera was smashed up on his recent mtb ride. That's a little different than something just falling apart.

I think the washer is planning on being next....

6 comments:

Jaime said...

The cosmos are telling in determined, yet subtle, ways, a few things in your life need updating. Great news, if you ask me! I love Dansko shoes, well, the ones that don't scream frumpy. Enjoy finding replacements!

Penny and Aaron Owens said...

I loved reading this, especially the blowdryer. The other stuff is really sad actually (I hate when good shoes finally go) but the blowdryer was good stuff, that would have been hilarious to witness!Just don't let anything happen to that awesome car of yours.

Rowdy said...

and the camera....

Steph said...

Funny timing :) I am finishing up a similar post.
Lame for you!!! No fun! Whoever coined that blasted phrase : "when it rains it pours" was on to somethin' :)

Good luck with finding sone new sole-mates :)

The Silly Witch said...

I HATE spending money, but I love getting new stuff. I think your per use rate for shoes is pretty awesome. And enjoy your iphone. I use mine for everything, calorie counting, pandora radio in the car, books on tape, scriptures at church, camera in a pinch, emailing...

Thanks for the comments on my blog. I love how I've been able to get to know you better than ever through your blog. YOU rock.

Rowdy said...

you were right, the washer and dryer will both die this year....

but for 4oo$ or whatever we paid for a set of remanufactured ones from the Sears warehouse store 5 years ago....

yeah, new ones this summer will be nice.

and we can take the old ones out into the desert and blow them up!

My Rad Life!