Monday, June 23, 2008

Where I Am; Where I'm Going

Today started a month of having a medical student with me at work. I love teaching, love radiology, love encouraging the rising generation. But having been in her shoes, I realize that it's incredibly boring to sit next to someone while they're reading CTs, plain films, ultrasound.... Hopefully, I can slow down enough to teach her something useful and sway her to the best. specialty. ever.

Rowdy and I have been taking Spanish for the last six weeks. I am hoping someday to be able to communicate in a meaningful way with my Spanish-speaking patients. Usually, I understand enough to know if my translator is telling the patient what I want them to know and to understand the patient's answers. It just makes a huge difference to be able to speak to someone in their own language. I'm going to keep taking classes for as long as necessary to become at least facile with the language. Oh, and I'm also hoping to take a beginning Swedish class this next term, too.

I'm still working on running, but I took what amounted to at least a month off in April/May. Ugh. Just keep moving!!

Music, music, music! We're going to Snoop Dogg/311 on Friday night, and Jack Johnson in August. We saw Snoop a couple of years ago at Street Scene. Dude puts on a good show. I expect that, at both concerts, we will be the only people not smoking out. Contact high is a myth.

J, K and M are visiting us for a week in July. As they get older, their schedules get more and more packed. J is working, K is at high-adventure camp this week, M has camp in August. I'm glad that we were able to have them for a whole month two years ago. Those days will probably never come again.

R has entered a jiujitsu tournament which is coming up in July (the kids will be able to go, too). It's fun to see him get so fit so fast, after being in the hospital for two whole weeks just four months ago. He went from scrawny to ripped in, like, a month.

On September 7, 2008, I will officially be a partner in my group. Most likely. It's about time, because exactly one week later, I'll be FORTY-FOUR YEARS OLD. Sheesh. Am I a late bloomer or what?

8 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

I just think you're awesome and brave. Good luck with Spanish. I'm sure that you knowing their language will bring so much comfort to them.

Penny and Aaron Owens said...

Thanks for the congrats! You make me feel so lazy after reading your last entry. I love your "go get em" attitude and especially your desire to learn new languages.

Anonymous said...

Nan, you may have been a "late bloomer", but boy how you've bloomed! You are exquisite in every way!

Darrell said...

Let us know how the Jack Johnson show goes. Like his music...

nyclizzie said...

So the real way to learn the language is to be immersed in it! I say your next adventure with Rowdy should be one of those learn the language quick programs deep in the heart of rural Mexico. It's educational tourism and you and Rowdy could have a blast with it!

Cool that you're almost partner! xoxo

Amberly said...

I'm very impressed with what you have going on, and the best part is that you seem to be happy with all parts. Congrats on approaching partner, that is awesome! as for running, I try to tell myself to keep moving, too.. ugh.

Anonymous said...

Que Bueno! I love that you are working towards the great goals you have set. Keep going!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I love your blog! Sounds like you guys are so busy. I can tell I haven't called in a while. I didn't know about spanish, or jujitsu or anything! Hopefully I can use our blogs to stay in contact better. I just suck at calling. Oh, and, I wish I were going to Jack Johnson too! Have a blast!

My Rad Life!