Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Number One Son


Keiler turns fifteen today (Dec. 26th)! Happy birthday! That's him, standing with his namesake outside the hunting and fishing museum in Munich. Rowdy thought that he was just making up that name, but it turns out that "keiler" means "warthog" in German.

Of the three kids, Keiler is the most like me. Funny how that happened without me having anything to do with bringing him into the world and not even knowing him until 2005. He, like me, is the second-born, so I think that's why I feel like we're similar and I can understand him. He definitely wants to stand out and not follow in his sister's footsteps. Fortunately, that doesn't include being a wild child.

He's a very intelligent young man, with dreams of becoming an electrical or mechanical engineer. Someday, he'll design something really impressive that we'll all use. We like to encourage his mechanical skills and buy him things like build-your-own-robot kits and computer programs. He's a reader and a thinker, not an extrovert at all.

Usually, he's pretty shy and not ready to start charming the ladies. However, he's been watching his dad and picking up tips that will help him in his future relationships. For instance, Keiler almost always opens the car door for me, because he's seen Rowdy do it. He's very good about asking me if he can carry something for me or if I need help in the kitchen or when I am trying to get things together for Primary on Sunday. (I hope that he does the same things for his mom, Julie.)

Keiler and Jordan are doing different tasks around the house to earn money for EFY. We decided to add some things to demonstrate their spiritual fitness, as well as their ability to work. Keiler recited several scriptures from memory, as well as some Articles of Faith. These were not "Jesus wept," or "and my father dwelt in a tent". We discussed the meaning of the scriptures, and he had some really good insights. He will be a good missionary, and he's already a good Aaronic Priesthood holder.

It's great to watch Keiler grow into such a fine young man. I'm proud and honored to have him in my life, and I love him very much.

3 comments:

Amberly said...

He sounds awesome and you guys are doing great things with him... what a gentleman! Happy Birthday!!

Darrell said...

Happy Birthday Keiler.

Hope you all had a great Christmas...

The Babidges

Anonymous said...

He is a pretty good kid and is getting better each year. Needs a few things straightened out, but all in all a good kid and happy to have him!

My Rad Life!