Thursday, March 1, 2007

When One Door Closes

People often ask me what I do for work. "I'm an interventional radiologist," I reply. Blank stare. "A minimally-invasive surgeon--?" A slight glimmer of recognition at the word "surgeon". I go on to explain that I use needles, thin wires and tubes with the help of x-rays, ultrasound or CT to diagnose and/or treat various conditions. I do biopsies; drain things (very stinky things some of the time); look at blood flow everywhere in the body except the heart; open up blood flow where it's needed, like in the arms and legs, and in dialysis access; and stop blood flow in places it's not, like in tumors or in cases of trauma.

The most rewarding procedures for me are the embolizations, which usually requires snaking a very tiny tube over an even-tinier wire through some twisty-turny vessels. I sometimes start one of those cases thinking, "I have no idea how I'm going to get to where I need to go!". So when I eventually do get there, take out the vessel and "close the door" as it were, it's incredibly fulfilling. I had such a case yesterday. I had spent a week planning the procedure, talking to my colleagues about how I could get the embolization accomplished, looking at the old films and praying for guidance. The procedure went completely smoothly and was a great success (so far!).

Experiences like that make me so grateful to Heavenly Father for the inspiration, education, experience, and talents he's given me, and also that He's given me a very talented support staff and helpful colleagues. I'm so grateful that I can do something that blesses the lives of others. Hopefully, when I "close the door" for my patients, I'm opening a door to a healthier life!

1 comment:

Amberly said...

I like the way you put that together- You bless your patients lives in an amazing way and it shows in the way you prepare for a procedure. Thanks for sharing that insight into what you do on a daily basis.. it's always been a bit of a mystery to me!

My Rad Life!