Sunday, March 25, 2007

Something Old, Something New

Renee and Matt Joseph on our wall

We had our Wall Warming and Bike Rodeo yesterday. Sadly, I was on call and was there only for the last hour. We had a pretty good turnout, and I hear a good time was had by all.


Rowdy was in Salt Lake last week, spending time with the kids, his parents, his sister Tory and her husband Tyler, and his brother Jamie and his wife and kids. Just before he left, we invited an insidious influence into our home--yep, we got cable.


I thought that it would be nice to have cable again, just for background noise. What I had forgotten is how much of a time waster it is. There were tons of things I could've gotten done during the week, but I mainly just sat on the sofa and watched--whatever. Of course, I watched stuff on BBCA. Friday night is comedy night, plus there's Cash in the Attic.


What fascinates me about those British antiques-oriented shows like Antiques Roadshow, Bargain Hunt or CITA is how ordinary people will have things lying around their house that are centuries old. "Oh, that old thing?", they'll say, "I've barely noticed it. It's been in my parents' house for ages." And it ends up being a Georgian sideboard or a teapot given to the family by King Henry VIII. There is nothing in my home more than...oh...65 years old at most. I have an embroidered picture that my great-(great?)-aunt Irene made in the 40's (I think), my grandpa Dahlstrom's Idaho chauffer license from 1941 (it was so he could drive the Coke plant's delivery trucks), and a silver bowl that he was awarded by the Coca-Cola Co. for sales in the early 50's. We're just not an heirloomy family.




1 comment:

The Silly Witch said...

The same thing happened too me when we got dish network. The novelty wore off and I'm finally returning to my productive self.

My Rad Life!