Sunday, December 10, 2017

Hello From LHITBW

Two weeks into my month-long stint at LHITBW, I guess it's time for an update.

Things are still pretty mellow and enjoyable.  I couldn't stay here permanently.  It's just not set up to be a very vibrant practice.  The best person for this job would be someone at the end of their career, burned out on a busy IR service and happy to do more "Specials" than IR.

The physicians that are based are very collegial and pleasant to work with.  The other locums have been interesting to talk to and network with.  My field is really quite small.  There's usually someone who is at least a mutual acquaintance.


Did I tell you it was a tiny place?  The list of the inpatients today was one page long.  One.  Page.
It's situated in the Sierra foothills, nestled in a wooded area.  Having grown up in the Pacific Northwest, the forest feels like it's part of my DNA.  The smell of the woods and the soil is one of my favorite things.  I don't realize how much I miss it until I experience it again.
Did I mention the free food for doctors?  This is just some of the bounty in the Doctors' Lounge.  The fridge is full of sodas, juice, water, sandwiches and salads.  The freezer has frozen Amy's Organic bowls and burritos and all kinds of different ice cream novelties.  And don't forget the rack of chips and the baked goods.  

I took this picture because I never wear nice shoes with my scrubs.  It's usually my Danskos (I call them my "work boots") or running shoes.  I think that I look like an unmade bed or a particularly precocious twelve-year-old when I'm at work, but I feel like a badass in scrubs. 


My Rad Life!