Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Work Spa

A locums pulmonolgist at LHITBW and I were talking about our experiences at LH.  She works at a large hospital in Sacramento, and she loves coming up to LH because, "It's so peaceful.  I only have 8-10 patients.  It's like a vacation." 

My feelings exactly.  The last week was so completely relaxing.  I was able to easily get back into reading diagnostic studies, which is delightful.  As far as IR, well, I did several biopsies and a couple of drainages--"light IR".  I almost had a GI bleeder, but they were able to treat the patient in Endoscopy. 

This leads to my only true complaint/concern about this posting: IR, real IR is hard to practice in this tiny hospital.  I don't know how the prior group kept their IR skills sharp.  Maybe they rotate out to bigger hospitals.  There is no dedicated IR suite, it's a Cath Lab.  There's no IR call.  I was told about the GIB when I walked into the hospital at 7:45.  The Cath Lab tech didn't even come in until about 8:30.  I checked out the IR inventory, and there was the necessary equipment to perform the procedure, but it still was suboptimal. 

So generally, LHITBW is like a spa (maybe things will be more exciting as I am there for a month solid). 

Now I'm off to the ACR Education Center in Reston, VA, for Mammo Boot Camp!

No comments:

My Rad Life!