Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Phrase I Wish Not To Hear For Just One Day

"I don't know."

Sigh.

We've had M with us for a couple of weeks now. Overall, he is a joy to be with. He's good-natured, not sulky, doesn't talk back. He's fairly helpful (though I haven't figured out yet that I need to be RIGHT THERE next to him while he works at a multi-step task). He's had the chance to learn how to ride a dirt bike, and he's really picking it up. He comes by any talent that way naturally.

The thing that is driving me crazy, but it's just typical for his age, is his answering almost any question with, "I don't know".

Q: What do you want for dinner?
A: I don't know.

Q: What did you learn in Sunday School today?
A: I don't know.

Q: Who's your best friend?
A: I don't know.

Q: What's 1/4 of 100?
A: I don't know.

etc.

Sigh.

4 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

Well, at least he knows he doesnt know anything. I wonder how long that will last.

Julie said...

Funny, that's my eventual answer to the "Why?" I hear thousands of times each day.

tenacious d said...

Yeah, maybe "IDK" is just the evolution of the typical 3-year-old question.

Funnily enough, when we "remind" him to do something, he says, "Yeah, I know." Pffftt!!

Tory said...

Love it! I didn't think anyone in this family knew that phrase. I certainly never use it!

My Rad Life!