Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What's New?

We traded in our Lexus 400h last week for a Toyota Tacoma. While it was hard at first for me to give up the fanciness of the Lexus, the overall benefits of having the truck far outweigh having automatic lights, moisture-sensing wipers, seat heaters and built-in GPS.

First of all, our car payment was cut in half, which is always nice. Secondly, it is a perfectly nice and comfortable vehicle, with satellite radio, a very responsive heating and cooling system, and a seat belt signal that doesn't go on for about 30 seconds longer than it should. Thirdly, it fits our needs to have something rugged and outdoorsy much more than our fancy-schmancy SUV.

We took the bikes up to Temecula, about 60 miles north of SD, for a bike race. The back seat held our camelbacks, helmets, and Rowdy's racing gear. We fit both bikes in the truck bed, plus folding chairs, a cooler of snacks, and a pop-up. It was great to have our pit area set up nicely.


In other news, I was released as Primary President a couple of weeks ago. Finally! The last 2.5 years were fun, and I did learn a lot. Fortunately, I had a wonderful Primary Board [particularly my counselors and my four (count them! FOUR) secretaries] and a darling, small Primary. I never had problems with the parents or kids with severe behavioral issues. It was the perfect situation to be in, but I had been feeling for several months that it was time to move on.

Surprisingly, I was not given a new calling immediately. I have an inkling about where I might be called, a definite idea of my dream calling, and definite ideas about where I hope I'm not placed. But wherever I go, I know that it will be good to serve others, I'll learn to love even more people, and I will grow from the experience. So bring it on! I have a new truck to take me wherever I need to go.

4 comments:

Melody said...

I have a funny story. We were coming home from church and my family was crowded at the front door of my house, I was with my 5 year old cousin Noah at the tail end of the group. Noah was there rubbing my belly, when all of a sudden he tries to lift my church dress cause he wanted to SEE my belly. I told him that he couldn't do that. And he says "don't worry I'm a doctor."

So that is my favorite saying ever, LOVED your comment. Surprisingly it's event funnier when it comes from a real doctor!

Love the Tacoma, it will probably suit your adventurous outdoor life a bit better than the Lexus. and congrats on the release. :) You did an amazing job, but I'm sure you need a vacation, lol!

tenacious d said...

Oohhhmygosh, Melody! That is hilarious! I just picture a very serious-faced child with a handful of your dress, trying to convince you that it was okay, he's a doctor.

Lezlie said...

Good for you! Forwards and upwards. We wouldn't know what to do without a truck.

Steph said...

Woot Woot!!!1. You made the best primary prez EVER! And one of the easiest, nicest, "bosses" ever. You did a fabulous job, D!!!

And congrats on the truck!!!! I bought my own truck (bright red f-150) and wondered how I could ever go without a truck when I had it. Well, we both wish we still had a truck but our next buy is a Toyota truck! They are the most luxurious on the inside, and keep up with the big boyz on the outside. Have fun with it!

My Rad Life!