Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Lingua Pater


Last week, I started taking Swedish lessons. It's pronounced completely differently than I had ever imagined. Take for instance "i", which means "in". Take your tongue and put it against the inner aspect of your teeth. Open your lips slightly and then stretch them widely to the side. Now make an "l" sound. And then there's the word for 7, "sju". It's pronounced something like "whew!". "Tjugo" or 20? Shoo-go. Which is not to say that I'm not having fun taking the class, it's just much different from taking Spanish.



3 comments:

Steph said...

Oh my word, Diane! I had no idea. I'm lame...And you've been taking Spanish! That's how incredibly self-absorbed I've been. So how are you liking it?? I LOVE languages and am finding myself dealing with new feelings of jealousy towards Luke. We're staying on DLI right now and I'm literally looking at the "Asian I : Chinese, Japanese, Tagalog, and Thai" building. How long do you plan on taking lessons?

tenacious d said...

I'm going to see how this semester goes and then decide whether or not to continue with Swedish. My goal was to be able to at least pronounce things and get an idea of sentance structure.

Do you already speak German, or is the Navy going to set you up with a class? With the baby and Porter, I'm sure that you don't have the energy right now.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! I love languages and am learning Czech (and am having similar pronunciation eye openers). Where are you taking classes? Good luck.

My Rad Life!