Sunday, July 15, 2012

Seven Days In

I am doing fine on this diet different food choices plan. Difficult situations like lunch meetings at work, a work conference, Mutual and being offered a brownie at church today were easily handled. It's not like I don't want Diet Coke, but I'm doing fine without it. I do allow myself to take the Sacrament, because that's more important to me than staying completely true to the program, plus I really doubt that it would make a difference. But man, after not eating any grains at all for a week, that bread tasted weird. It wasn't super-sweet--it was just very strange in texture and flavor.

When I fantasize about food, I think about what I have at home to eat, or what I'm going to go to the store to buy the ingredients for, not cookies or rolls or even Diet Coke. So I'm pretty happy about that. At the store, I'm able to walk past things that I'm not eating right now just like I walk past the alcohol section. It just isn't what I'm putting in my body. I thought that it would be harder to do that, but so far, I'm good.

The bummer is that I haven't quite gotten to the point of feeling all of the energy that they say people feel when they drop grains and simple sugars from their diet. I haven't felt like going for a run or a swim or ride or anything. I did, however, paddleboard for an hour the other day. That was tons of fun.

Two positive things are that I have lost about 5 pounds and I don't have itchy ear canals like I have for years and years. There must be something that I used to eat that I was allergic to and made my ears itch inside.

Rowdy is now back from his mountain biking trip, so we have to merge out dietary needs. There's not much overlap in that Venn diagram. He has done some research, and he has found that the best diet for someone with an intact colon but little small intestine is predominantly complex carbohydrates. He can have vegetables and fruit and a little meat. He can't have simple sugars, and soda in particular is a big "no". I roasted a turkey breast and some vegetables with some squash for dinner today. I ate just that, and he added rice and gravy to his plate.
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce on Spaghetti Squash

No comments:

My Rad Life!