Thursday, September 22, 2011

Oh! The Places You'll Go! (I Hope.)

A lovely young woman of my acquaintance has hit the phase of life where she is seriously contemplating marriage.  And when I say "young woman", I mean that she is young. Perhaps not by the culture in which she lives, but definitely by the world's standard. 

This gives some of the people who love her and her intended (also young, but not quite as) pause. Some of their loved ones will think, "What?  Now?  You're too young!  I'm too young for this!"

This couple still have a couple of years left in their undergrad programs.  The economy is rough, and probably will not change for the better for some time.  They both have jobs, but relatively little savings.  They do not have parents who will set them up in a home as a wedding present.  It is possible that they will be struggling for a few years, but they are industrious, intelligent and mature. (Well, I know that she is, and I can only infer from what I have heard about him that he is not one whit behind her in those areas.  Don't prove me wrong, Buster!)   I doubt they will ever starve or be homeless because of the blessings that those who love them have and will share with them, if it comes to that. 

This is what I want for these two:  that they love each other and work as a team, with their family firmly centered in the Gospel, and that they can grow together and experience all of the wonderful things that the world has to offer, and serve others with all of the wonderful things that they are and will become.

I've been thinking about the couples I know who are still very young, or who embarked on their married lives as young and as fresh as these two.  There are couples I know who traveled marvelous places together, who went to the "big city" and/or abroad and worked or studied as a couple.  Heck, I know people who took their small children with them, or had babies far away from "home".  Maybe it wasn't a delight 24/7/365, but they grew a lot and took a lot from their experiences.  These are some of the most interesting and inspiring people I know. 


So, if you are or have been a part of a "young couple", please leave a comment.  Share your experiences and your advice for my little chickadee and her boy.  What did you do right?  What would you do differently?

2 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

Have faith! Be happy! It is good to grow up together. ;-)

Amberlin Gefrom said...

I am responding to your last post of what would you do if you had the house to yourself for 4 days...well haha every day is a holiday for me in that situation!! haha. Its nice..you should try eating Oreos in the buff while watching t.v. and sharing your thoughts with the manaquin!

My Rad Life!