Saturday, January 23, 2010

On Tea Olives and Nineveh


We had several wonderful moments in our Stake Primary inservice meeting last week. Our guest speaker had many great things to share about the importance of music in the Primary, and how the songs teach gospel principles.

For instance, he talked about the song, "My Heavenly Father Loves Me", and how every creation reminds us that Heavenly Father loves us.

1. Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree,
I’m glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heav’nly Father created for me.

2. He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things.
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart:
I thank him rev’rently
For all his creations, of which I’m a part.
Yes, I know Heav’nly Father loves me.

Words and music: Clara W. McMaster, 1904–1997. © 1961 IRI. Arr. © 1989 IRI

The tea olive bush outside my front door is something that reminds me of this love. It's scent is so beautiful; not quite peach, not quite magnolia or honeysuckle. Every time I walk outside and smell that, I say a prayer of gratitude for that creation. It brings me joy. God didn't make tea olives just for me, but I'm sure he knew that they would make a lot of people, including me, happy. And I know he loves me.

(Can you tell that smells are on my mind lately? I'm not sure why.)

Our speaker also talked about the story of Jonah, and how every child can tell you that it's a story about a whale, but there are more important lessons to be learned from that story. One sister shared with us how she had really struggled with accepting her daughter's boyfriend, who wasn't the kind of person she wanted her daughter to be with. One day, as she was praying about the situation, the thought came to her, "(X) is your Nineveh." Jonah tried and tried to get as far away from Nineveh as he could, because he didn't think the people were worth teaching, but the Lord knew them better than Jonah. So to her, the story is about understanding, accepting and loving others. (It was a richer, more powerful story than I think I am relating, but maybe you get the gist.)

It made me think, who or what is my Nineveh? Who or what is yours?

No comments:

My Rad Life!