Monday, August 4, 2008

Anacapa Adventure

No pictures yet, but I had to update for those who were wondering if we survived our camping/kayaking trip last weekend.

Overall, it was a good time. I loved being with Rowdy, the Bachs and the Wiggers. Eighteen-month-old Katelyn Bach was a really good camper. I was quite impressed. Of course, it's always good to stretch oneself and try new things. Kayaking had its not-so-fun moments, but exploring the caves and tunnels was cool. We also saw some seals and sea lions in the water with us when we were paddling. And thank goodness for the scopolamine patch! I was only seasick on one kayaking excursion, and not enough to make me boot.

Anacapa itself, well...when the boys took their mancation there a couple of years ago, it was mid-to-late September. Right now, it's the end of the breeding season for seagulls. The boys didn't remember having any bird issues on their trip, but this last weekend, there were literally thousands of seagulls on this little island with us. You better believe it was stinky, poopy and noisy. We were the only campers who stuck it out for the whole weekend.

A good thing about being the only campers was making friends with the ranger. He took us on a tour of the lighthouse, which is usually off-limits. The guys remember the lighthouse's signal going off every 20 seconds as being the big drawback to their trip last time. This time, the gulls drowned it out, and we barely ever were aware of the signal.

So, yeah, we're home now--sunburned, tired, sore from kayaking and carring our gear all over and happy to be sleeping in our own bed.

6 comments:

Amberly said...

what an adventure! I'm impressed you stuck out the birds, I can imagine how annoying they must have been, yuck! I'm glad you found rowdy, he's the perfect guy for you to have adventures with.

Darrell said...

Looking forward to seeing the photos!

Tory said...

So...camping is...not that much fun. Am I right?

tenacious d said...

Tory, until last weekend, camping to me was when seven of us packed into a motel room in Moab.

Amberly, Rowdy is the perfect man to have adventures with. I'm so glad I married him!

Darrell, you might need to go to rowdystyle to see pics. I'm being lazy.

Molly said...

nice work diane. So proud of you. I think pooping seagulls sounds like a dang good time. i am jealous of the caves and stuff, it looks so cool. I told craig i don't need much when I'm camping, just a bed and a hot shower! I could never have been a pioneer!

nyclizzie said...

The seagulls can't be any worse than what I hear 24/7...moooooooommmmmmmmyyyyyy! haha

We loved Anacapa too. It's fun to hike around and I loved the boat ride getting there! No whales?

Such fun adventures! Call me...I have something to tell you....xoxo

My Rad Life!