Friday, July 13, 2007

Girrrrrl Power!!


Venus Williams winning Wimbledon this year was great for at least two reasons: 1) she was ranked #31 going in and probably no one but Venus expected her to win and 2) she was paid the same for her win as Roger Federer was paid for his.

I wouldn't identify myself as a rabid feminist, but I do appreciate seeing progress in equalizing male/female roles in the workforce.

There are prominent women in my field, to be sure, but it is a male-dominated specialty. Every once in awhile, we look around our IR suite and realize that we have an all-female crew. Cynthia, who has been a tech in our department for many years remembers a time when she was the only woman working IR cases. As it is, I am the only female interventionalist in my group, and we only have two female techs.

So today, we commemorated an "all girl crew" with a group photo. L-->R: Socorro (nurse extraordinaire), Amber (eager rad tech student), Cynthia (the queen of PR juju), me and Kim (super new mommy).

5 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

I love that pic! Good times, eh?

tenacious d said...

Oh, yeah. We actually have fun most of the time, no matter what the crew is. We have good music going, we're chitchatting with the patient and each other, we're teasing each other. It's a party.

tenacious d said...

Oh, yeah. We actually have fun most of the time, no matter what the crew is. We have good music going, we're chitchatting with the patient and each other, we're teasing each other. It's a party.

Janette Rallison said...

Girl power! (But the question is: are all of you wearing mascara and lipstick behind those masks?)

tenacious d said...

Well, it depends, Janette. I have on mascara and no lip gloss, but Socorro, Kim and Cynthia are more made up.

I have two sets of lead--one has a navy blue background with small pink flowers all over it and a skull and crossbones applique on the pocket. The other is blue camo with a sunshine smilely face on the pocket. So I'm girly, with an edge.

My Rad Life!