Tuesday, June 5, 2007

How Clean Is Your House?

As of last Monday, I am an employer. Silvio the Gardener doesn't count. Silvio comes once a week and does our yard along with several others in our neighborhood. But I finally have a housekeeper. Oh, sure, she cleans at least two other homes in my neighborhood. But unlike Silvio, Olivia actually comes into my home and sees my dark secrets.


Housekeeping is not my forte by a long shot. I don't think that I'm dirty, I'm just cluttery. And when I clean, I'm not really detail-oriented. I just don't have the attention span. When Rowdy is home, he keeps the house pretty clean, but both of us have better things to do with out time.


As much as I love having things so beautifully clean, I have to say that I felt a little uncomfortable being someone's employer. I'm not at all interested in supervising anyone. And then there's the whole squeamishness about, I don't know, about being someone with a housekeeper and a gardener. It's weird to have people "doing" thing for me. The staff at work do things for me all the time, and even after two years of that, it's still a little disconcerting.


Olivia has been cleaning my friend Renee's house for about ten years. Renee had nothing but good things to say about her, and their house always looks great, so I decided to just go for it and hire her for twice a month.


The house looked absolutely gorgeous when I got home yesterday. The slipcover on the sofa was completely straight. All of the carpets were vacuumed. There was no dust anywhere. The bathrooms gleamed. But this is my favorite part.






The stovetop was so disgusting from everyday use. There was burnt-on stuff on the burners that I could never get off, try as I might. All she used was some Easy-Off, and they look like new.

I'm so happy about it that I haven't cooked a thing for a week.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You better start cooking when I get back!!!!!!
Yeah, going out to eat at good places will be nice. But I want what you make very much as well.

She will come again and clean, don't worry. It is ok.

And don't feel any worse about having "people" than you feel about having a younger boy toy husband. =)

Jaime said...

You've got personal peeps now! You know I went through the same weird change when we hired a cleaning person for all 750 sq. ft. of our apartment - a little ridiculous, I know, but I love coming home after she has been here! I could kiss her for reorganizing the cupboards and sweeping under the fridge (she cares so much more than I do) AND I think it is soo much cheaper than marriage couseling at least it is for us - Mark is a neatnic and I swear, our cleaning styles do not match at all!

So embrace a little luxury and enjoy some ueber clean living!

Amberly said...

I love that you have an olivia! As long as you're paying her, just enjoy the beauty she brings to your home... when does rowdy arrive?

The Silly Witch said...

I need a cleaning lady. At least until the kids grow up and I need to make them learn how to take care of a home. Does she do laundry, too?

tenacious d said...

What I really need is a personal assistant. I am terrible about keeping track of paperwork, deadlines, etc., and general getting-things-done.

Olivia doesn't do laundry, but with the two of us, it's not a big deal. Now with four, one of whom is on the cusp of toddlerhood and the other a little league star, I can see how you'd want someone to come in and help you with that, SW!

My Rad Life!