Tuesday, February 17, 2015

I'm Not Catholic, But I Like Lent

One new post every five months...sounds about right!

Lent starts tomorrow.  It is not something that is a part of my religion (LDS), but I like the concept of having a defined period in which to better myself in some way, either by giving something up (the traditional Lenten sacrifice) or taking on a new virtue.

My friend, Jen, introduced me to the "40 Bags in 40 Days" decluttering program, which is scheduled to begin tomorrow.  I certainly have drawers, bookshelves and even rooms in my house that can use some decluttering.  My office at work definitely needs some work.  What I like about this program is that there are also "non-stuff things" that can be decluttered, like email inboxes and computer desktops.

That got me to thinking about other "non-stuff" areas that I can declutter.  I can declutter my mind of negative thoughts.  I can declutter my body of fat, excess calories and (maybe) sugar and artificial sweeteners.  I can declutter my heart of judgement and grudges.  Those things sound like good things to do any time of the year.

I could also do a "40 Days of Personal Progress", which would probably get me to complete Personal Progress.  That would be pretty fun!

I am also working on doing at least one kind of physical activity every day for the next 40 days.  I'm pretty good at doing something for five or six days in a row, then I blow it.  I'll be counting even my short ride or walk to and from work, so that is helpful.

What could you do for Lent, Dear Reader?

3 comments:

Rowdy said...

sleep for at least 6 hours a night for 40 days straight.

Anonymous said...


Just found your blog. I'm not Catholic either but was once and still remember Lent with affection. I took it seriously.

What I've taken from your piece is that to do something for 40 days - to be committed to that special goal. It will be something that demands 'something'.

Thanks!

سما المثالية said...

شركة متخصصة فى الخدمات المنزلية بالمملكة العربية السعودية
شركة سما المثالية 0535609607
تقدم لكم شركة سما المثالية خدمات داخل المملكة العربية السعودية بالرياض والدمام والاحساء والقصيم
الخبر القطيف الجبيل راس تنورة سيهات صفوى
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالاحساء


My Rad Life!