Friday, December 23, 2011

I don't count. I feel it--with the music--and I make it fit.

All day long, I've been thinking about the 1977 movie, The Turning Point, starring Shirley McLaine, Anne Bancroft, Lesley Browne and Mikhail Baryshnikov.



My favorite line is when Emillia, played by Leslie Browne, tells the choreographer, "I don't count.  I feel it--with the music--and I make it fit.

What prompted me to think about this movie wasn't anything about ballet, but an email from a colleague who was complaining about how many ultrasounds he had to read yesterday (because he had to cover me as I had called in sick to take care of Rowdy--yeah, I know, I'm a selfish b*****).  I thought, "Gee, I never count how many ultrasounds I have to read."  And then that quote came to mind.  I almost wrote that to him in reply, but I was sure he wouldn't have gotten the reference.

The Turning Point is now available to watch instantly on Netflix! I'm going to watch it tonight.

No comments:

My Rad Life!