Sunday, April 5, 2009

Weekend Update

Conference, as usual, was wonderful. How is it that it always seems like it was custom-made for me and what I needed?

R and I were talking today about how I was recently released from my temple calling (which might have been a clerical error), and how I had mixed emotions about it. Immediately after that, there was not one, but two, talks in a row on the temple.

I definitely feel spiritually refreshed and renewed.

Yesterday, while R was watching the Priesthood Session, I cleaned out one of the Primary closets. I was also listening to the talks--all the better to support the priesthood-holders in my life. I found not one, but two "Sing With Me" songbooks. They must be at least 30 years old. They are going into the ward library. We don't have room for them in the closet, and I don't have the heart to throw them out. We also have 28 mini-flashlights and 11 whistle/flashlight/compasses from prior activities, as well as lots and lots of construction paper. No one in our Primary should have to buy construction paper for the next 20 years. Oh, and there were at least two flannel board books. Who does flannel boards anymore? I'm tempted to cut them out and make them, just for fun.

After the PH session, we went to a birthday bbq at a jiujitsu friend's house. It really impresses me how friendly and respectful these guys are. They know how to tease each other, but it really seems like a brotherhood, like they have each others' back. And there was plenty of talk about R's medalling at the Pan-Ams.

That was followed by visiting our friend Andy's art show. His paintings are paired with a friend's poetry. It's not really to my taste, but I can appreciate the talent there. The poems were harsh, but they still drew me in. That, to me, is the sign of good writing, when you might not be totally comfortable with the story but you still want to read it.

Combined with the ladies-only party I attended at Jeanette's and then hanging out with our neighbor Mimi on Friday night, it was the most social weekend I've had in ages!

This afternoon, we went for a 5.4 mile hike in Penasquitos Canyon. San Diego has all kinds of beautiful canyons and open spaces tucked in between neighborhoods. The weather was sunny and beautiful, and we hiked up to a little waterfall. Then we came home and ate chicken tacos until we were full.

The new header picture is from probably three years ago at Mission Trails. It's another area that's tucked into a neighborhood. One side of it is just a few miles from our house, so it's easy to get to. The trails aren't too technical, but it's still a fun place for riders of different skill levels.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved reading your new blogs...I always check for new additions. I always read Rowdy's, too. Your the best...

Funfelt said...

You asked if anyone does flannelboards anymore, abs yes they do! :) I have a very popular website you might want to look at! :) www.funfelt.com We are finding more and more people are turning off the electronics in favor of classic open ended toys and hands-on learning! :Karen

My Rad Life!