Sunday, August 26, 2007

Victory!!

Max, our youngest, visited us for a week recently. He's not really a water kid, so he resisted his dad's attempts to get him to the beach all week long. We finally got him there on Saturday, just hours before he was supposed to return home.

At first, he didn't really want to go in the water at all. Rowdy shamed/coaxed him into the water initially while I took the boogie board out for a few rides. Max tried to convince us that it was totally fun to be in the water up to his ankles, but we weren't buying it. I decided to try to get him a little more comfortable in the water and have more fun at the beach.

First, we just body surfed in the white water. Nothing too exciting, but it did give Max an inkling that maybe, just maybe, the ocean wasn't out to kill him. After about fifteen minutes, he realized that the boogie board probably would actually be fun to try. He boarded while I body surfed. We caught two or three really awesome waves, and that totally hooked him. Before we knew it, Max was going "outside" by himself and having a wonderful time.

I think it was the first time in my short "mothering" career when I really felt like I had taught one of my children something new and broadened his outlook. I've probably taught them other things, but this was easily quantified.

Too bad we didn't bring the camera with us that day, but to be honest, neither Rowdy nor I believed that Max would be persuaded to get out and do anything except sit on the beach and pout. I wish we had recorded our huge smiles as we slid along with the waves, and I wish we had a picture of how Max's borrowed swim trunks (he was 100% against us buying him a swimsuit during our school-clothes shopping expedition) filled up with air while he boarded. He looked like he had water wings on his bootie.

As we were driving him to the airport, we asked him what his favorite part of the weekend was. His answer was "definitely boogie boarding!" He now wants to go every time he visits us. We we count this as a parental victory. We take them whenever and however we can get them.

4 comments:

Jaime said...

I love the beach and boogie boarding, but I can totally relate to Max, the ocean scared me when I was small, even though I grew up swimming on a lake. I am sure he is hooked for good now. Nice job!! I wish I could join you on the beach.

Steph said...

Way to go, Di! You ARE an awesome mom! I think you'd bee the coolest mom to have! You've made previous comments about how you are so blessed to have them in your life, but they too, are blessed to have you!

The Silly Witch said...

You rock Tenacious D! I remember being that kind of a kid--too scared to go down a waterslide, too scared to water ski and boogie board, too scared to swing from a tree swing into the water. I don't know what would have become of me if my Dad hadn't talked me into doing the things that I was too scared to try.

Anonymous said...

You do great! Those kids are blessed because of your entry into their lives. You care for them and it shows.

My Rad Life!